HST 121 Syllabus

Reading Assignments - You will have two types of readings assigned throughout the term (see list below).  The readings that are assigned for a particular day are to be completed BEFORE you come to class on that particular day. (See your class schedule for daily reading assignments.)

1 - FREE Online Textbook (See class schedule for links to individual chapters.)
          - Christopher Brooks, Western Civilization: A Concise History

2 - FREE Online Primary documents
                (Referred to on your class schedule as DOC.)

Course Website and Lecture/Discussion Outlines - This course will make extensive use of the internet. Outlines for each lecture/discussion and all assignments are posted on the course website. In addition, we will look at numerous sources on the internet during class. These will include primary documents, various images of art and architecture and other resources that will facilitate your understanding of the course material, such as maps, diagrams and tables.  (Be advised that I reserve the right to ADD or CHANGE information on the outlines and class schedules.  Do not print them out and assume that the information is set in stone for the duration of the course.)

Course Grade Breakdown:
Item Point Value
Quizzes (5) 100
Map Quizzes (2)     
50
Film Review
50
Midterm Exam 100
Final Exam 100
Total Points 400

Course Grading Scale:
A 371-400  (93-100%) C 291-310  (73-77%)
A- 359-370  (90-92%) C- 279-290  (70-72%)
B+ 351-358  (88-89%) D+ 271-278  (68-69%)
B 331-350  (83-87%) D 251-270  (63-67%)
B- 319-330  (80-82%) D- 239-250  (60-62%)
C+ 311-318  (78-79%) F 238 and below 

Blackboard - Log in to your Blackboard account at any time to check your grades.  You will also be able to access the SOQ course evaluations via your Blackboard account.  Everything else for the course is on this website.

Description of Graded Items
Attendance - I will take attendance during all classes except the last day of class.  If you miss more than 4 classes (2 weeks of class!), your grade will decrease by one FULL letter grade. 

** I take attendance at the BEGINNING of class.  If you arrive late, it is YOUR responsibility to come up to me after class and remind me to mark you present for that day.  This is especially important at the beginning of the term when I have not yet learned the names of all students.

Map Quizzes - Two map quizzes will be given during the term. (See your class schedule for map quiz dates.) See the Map Quiz Review Sheet for a description of the map quizzes and a list of possible items that will appear on the map quizzes.  Each map quiz is worth 25 points.

Quizzes - Six quizzes will be given throughout the term. (See your class schedule for quiz dates.) Each quiz is worth a total of  20 points.

** See the Quiz Review Sheet for a description of quizzes and a list of possible identification terms.
** Quizzes CANNOT be made up. You will, however, be allowed to DROP your lowest quiz grade.
** Quiz Grading Scale: A = 18-20, B = 16-17, C = 14-15, D = 12-13, F = 11 and below

bullet Film Review - Pick one of the documentary films shown in the course to review.  See the film review guidelines for a description of this assignment.  The film review is worth 50 points.

Exams The midterm and final exams will consist of various types of questions, including multiple-choice/true-false, matching identification, matching cause and effect and an essay. You will receive a review sheet before both exams to assist you in studying. Each exam is worth 100 points.
[Midterm Exam Review Sheet] [Final Exam Review Sheet]

** Exam Grading Scale: A+ = 98-100, A = 93-97, A- = 90-92, B+ = 88-89, B = 83-87, B- = 80-82, C+ = 78-79, C = 73-77, C- = 70-72, D+ = 68-69, D = 63-67, D- = 60-62, F = 59 and below

Make-up Exams/Map Quizzes - These will be given ONLY if you have a valid doctor's excuse for an illness or other health-related issues, OR a documented, reasonable emergency.

Other grading items of note - There is NO extra credit and NO grading curve in this course.

Other Important Information

Officially, a withdrawal from the course must be made by the end of Week 8.  I will, however, allow a faculty withdrawal for an additional TWO weeks beyond the return of your Midterm Exam.

Communication - Please feel free to contact me by phone, email or in person. If my office hours are inconvenient for you, call me or email me to set up another time to meet. Also, if you have feedback, comments, suggestions or concerns about any aspect of this course, please feel free to bring them to my attention.

Academic Dishonesty - In accordance with Article 4095 of the WCC Board of Trustees Policy Manual, plagiarism, cheating, or any other form of academic dishonesty will not be tolerated in this course.  Students found to have committed academic dishonesty will be referred to the Dean of Humanities and
Social Science for disciplinary action.

Classroom Behavior - In this class, you are expected to act in a professional manner at all times.  Classroom disruption will NOT be tolerated.  Treating myself or any of your fellow students in an unprofessional manner will not be tolerated.  If you disrupt the class, you will be asked to leave the classroom, and probably drop the course.  See the WCC Board of Trustees Policy Manual for more information.

** Do not disrupt class by being habitually late. 
    ** Do not talk to other students during lecture. 
    ** Turn cell phones OFF (or switch them to SILENT) when you come into class. 
    ** Do not text during class. 
    ** Do not surf the internet during class.  You may only use your computer to take notes
        and follow along on the course website.

The Writing Center - This is a great resource if you need help with your writing.  They will NOT write your papers for you, but they will help you with your writing skills and give you assistance with your writing assignments. See their webpage for more information and their hours.

Learning Support Services - Reasonable accommodation will be made for students with learning disabilities.  You MUST, however, first undergo a Learning Disabilities Assessment at Learning Support Services.  (See their webpage for more information: Learning Support Services.) You MUST present me with written verification from Learning Support Services to receive such accommodation.  (For example, you may NOT have a person taking notes for you in this class without written documentation from Learning Support Services.)

Grade Appeal Procedure - If you have a complaint about your final course grade, you MUST follow the procedure listed in the WCC Board of Trustees Policy Manual.