DOC 13 -- Manorial Court RollExcerpts of court rolls from the manor of Wakefield in northern England.
 - It is presented that Alice wife of Baugecler broke the barn of Robert son of Henry de Crigeliston, and stole four sheaves of corn; Robert pursued her, and took the corn from her, and allowed her to go. Fine 13 s. 4 d.; pledge Richard the Grave .
 - Agnes Lambot against Adam son of Richard de Alvirnhorpe, says that he beat her, which he denies and they put themselves on an inquisition. The inquisition comes by the township of Alvirthorpe, and says that he did beat her because she used insulting words to his wife. He is amerced 12 d, and must pay her her damages Adam's wife is amerced 12 d. for using insulting words to the plaintiff and the plaintiff is amerced for the like to Adams wife. Pledge, Gerbot the Grave.
 - Adam the Grave of Neubygging gives 12d. For license to take one acre [of land] from William Corre in Crigeliston. doing [service and customs]; pledge Richard the Grave.
 - John le Gayne gives 3s for license to marry his daughter; pledge William de Lupesheved.
 - Jordan de Werloweley fined 6d for chattering in Court. .
 - William son of Henry de Sandale is in mercy for beating and illtreating
the men of the Earl and those of the Prior of S. Oswald's pledges, Richard
the Crave and Henry de Osset; fine 40d.
 -Also, that Simon the Grave moved his fence and appropriated to himself land of the Earl's. It is ordered that the fence be pulled down, and that Simon be in mercy. He made fine of 6s 8d.
 - They say also that Henry de Totil went away from the Earl's land, and dwells in Horton on the land of the Abbot of Fountains in the fee of Sir Henry de Lascy. It is ordered that he be arrested if found within the Earl's liberty.
 -Agnes de Litheseles dwelling in Hartesheved, 6d for brewing contrary to the assize.
 - They say on their oath that Cicely daughter of William Norman burgled the house of Margery del Pendaunt by night, and took flour butter cheese and a smock and carried them all to the house of John son of Adam the Miller her husband without his knowledge. She is to be arrested if she can be found.
 - John son of Elias 2s for 6 beasts escaped into the forest.
[Source: http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/asbook.html; from The Yorkshire Archaelogical Society, Record Series vol. 29, 1900. Court Rolls of The Manor of Wakefield Vol. 1 1274-1297, by William Paley Bailon.]